The Software Foundation Fiji presents South Pacific Writing Competition on the theme of “Advancement of Software and Technology”. The competition is open to everyone in the following categories:
- Primary Schools
- Secondary Schools
- Tertiary Education Institutes
- Open Category
Theme: “Advancement of Software and Technology”
- Free and Open Source Software
- Software for Education
- Computer and Information Literacy for Schools
- Software for Business and E-commerce
- Software in Science and Engineering
- Mobile Computing, Smart Phones– Impact and Social Issues
- The Effects of Social Networks
- Online learning
- Software and Information System for Hospitals
- Software for the elderly, special needs and disabled community
- Software Security, Virus and Spam-ware
- The Future of Software and Technology
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Health and Medical Informatics
- Environmental Informatics and Climate Change
- Wearable Computing
- Big Data and Cloud Computing
- GPS Location Based Services and Society – Friend or Foe
- Internet governance
- Internet Safety and Security
- ICT Policies for Education
- Open topic (Any topic relating to the theme)
Note that the above topics are only guidelines. You will have your own title for your essay.
All short-listed entries will be given Certificate of Participation by Software Foundation Fiji. The short-listed entries will be published online in our website and an electronic book will be available for free download. Certificate of Merit and Distinction will be given to the best entries.
Each category will give three prizes (Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards). The details of the awards will be given later.
- General Chair, Dr. Rohitash Chandra, SCIMS – USP, President – Software Foundation.
- Publications Chair, A/Prof. Dr. Bibhya Sharma (FSTE – USP) and Dr. Nicholas Rollings (USP)
- Technical Chair, Mr. Gary Wong, Mr. Ratneel Deo (USP), Mr. Kevin Rotsaert (Skyward Industries)
- Marketing Chair,Ms. Swaran Ravindra (FNU), Mrs. Ronika Chandra (Digicel Fiji)
- Creative Writing Chair, Joni Madraiwiwi (Chief Justice, Nauru)
- Programme Committee Members,Mr. Shivanesh Lal (Datec) and Mr. Krishnil Chand, Mr. Kavitesh Bali, Mr. Shonal Chaudhary, Mr. Ravneil Nand, Ms. Shamina Ali (USP Foundation Studies) , Mr. Krishan Kumar (USP Lautoka Campus).
- Student Representatives, Mr. Balbir Singh (USP Student Association), Mr. Ritendra Prasad (USP PG Student)
- Review Panel of Judges: Dr. Dhenesh Subramaniam, Dr. Nicholas Rollings, Mrs. Shikha Raturi, Dr. Anurag Sharma, Dr. Sam Goundar, Dr. Akaash Dubey (FNU), Mr. Kevin Rotsaert (Skyward Industries),A/Prof. Dr. Bibhya Sharma
You will need to register into the EasyChair system (SPWC2015) and submit your paper. Note that there can be multiple authors for a submission and multiple submissions per author. Teachers assisting students can be second authors.
In the Abstract, give a brief submission about your submission and also indicate your submission type (Expository Essay, Personal Essay, Brief Research Note or Creative Works ) and category (Open, Tertiary, Secondary or Primary) .
All submissions are to use Springer LNCS format templates: Download Templates
Details on Type of submission:
The submissions can be in the form of an Expository Essay, Personal Essay or Brief Research Note. The Expository and Personal Essays will have a word limit of 1500- 2000 words. The Brief Research Note can be up to 6 pages single spaced format. Creative works such as Poetry and Short Stories relating to the theme can also be submitted. Note that all entries will be checked for plagiarism and candidates must ensure that proper form of referencing is used.
Submission Deadline Extended: 15th August 2015 @ EasyChair system (SPWC2015)
Review of Submission August – September 2015
Notification of Awards and Accepted Works: 15th September 2015.
Publication of Book from Selected Works: December, 2015. Note that book will be available online for free download and printed copy will be available to be purchased from Amazon.com and published through SFF Press.
Ms. Swaran Ravindra, Email: swaran.ravindra (at) softwarefoundationfiji.org
Ready to Submit?
Are you ready to submit your entry? If so, follow the instructions on this page.
Please note that the competition has been approved by The Ministry of Education. You may download the supporting document in the link below.